Monday, July 2, 2012

4th of July Memories

This fourth of July is going to be tough. Part of the reason why it's going to be tough is becasue last 4th of July was the last time my whole "family" was together. Jim was still with us, and so was Frank. It was happy and fun and we had a great time together. None of us knew that in 2 short months we'd be without Jim and in 9 months we'd be without Frank. That's the thing about the future, it doesn't ever reveal it's plans to you. Instead, things just happen.

We all got together on Memorial Day, but it was a little bit easier. Memorial Day wasn't the last time we were all together. The fourth of July was. I'm both looking forward to Wednesday and dreading it. I can't wait to spend time with my family and I know that despite the pain we'll inevitably be feeling, we'll be happy because we're together.

My friend lost her grandmother this weekend. And when I texted her my condolensces, she said "I have so many memories from her and Opa." And this struck me because at a time when when she could have said something, anything different, she managed to highlight the part that makes grief a little bit easier. The fact that we were lucky enough to make memories and to cherish those memories when our loved ones are gone.

So, yes, this holiday will be hard. And Labor Day will be even harder. But, instead of being sad that my family is no longer with me, I'm going to think about all the great memories we had together and all the 4th of Julys we spent together making those memories.

Happy 4th. And as always, remember that our freedom isn't free and there are men and women sacrificing their lives so we can sit back and bbq.

July 4, 2011.

1 comment:

vanweezy said...

After Oma's burial today, we went out to eat at El Fenix, and we shared funny stories about Oma. It was lighthearted and fun, and was exactly what we needed to be doing instead of wallowing in sorrow! I hope you can find the strength to keep your celebrations positive and fun, because you know that's how it would've been if Frank and Jim were there!