Wednesday, January 21, 2009

O B A M A!!!


Wow...what a terrific day yesterday was. Although I had to work, I managed to see a few snipits from Obama's official oath of office and his speech. I have to say, that yesterday was a day that I will remember for all time.

There are people older than me who didn't think they would see this day in their life time. And then there are people my age or wonder why it took so long for such a day to arrive. I think either way, it's one of the most memorable days I, as an American voter, have ever witnessed. There have been things in our history that have rocked me to the core. And then there have been things that have given me hope, and made me believe that this can be a better country.

Don't get me wrong, I know that Obama is not the end all be all, but I sure hope that he can help pull us out of this downward spiral we are stuck in right now. I have never been a huge fan of G'Dub, but I have always respected him for what he has done. I am glad to see the transfer of power, and hopeful that Obama will continue to work with repulbicans and democrats alike, to find the best solutions for our country.

In no particular order, here's what I think he needs to tackle.
1) Healthcare. It should not cost you 1,000s of dollars to go to the emergency room. And it should not cost you hundreds of dollars on top of that to have the insurance plan in the first place.
2) Education. Our children need it, and they're not getting it. Public schools are declining, and colleges and universities are becoming alomst impossible to afford.
3) Welfare. I'm all for supporting someone when they're down. But we can't afford to have people living off welfare for 20 years! That's ridiculous.
4) Let me invest my retirement money where I want. Stop taking it all and putting into social security that I will never see.
5) Gay/Lesbian Rights. They deserve to get married as much as the straight couple who has been together for 6 months.

I'm sure there will be more as this journey of ours begins. I can't wait to see where he takes us and what we learn along the way.

Here's to Obama, and Michelle Obama. May they lead us in the right direction!

1 comment:

vanweezy said...

I got to watch Obama's speech at the inauguration as it was happening, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. He has such a presence about him, that just commands an audience and brings a smile to your face. I feel like the success of our country can't happen unless the people are hopeful, positive, and willing to change. Seeing Obama take office makes me hopeful, positive, and excited about change. I think if we all felt this way, success would inevitably follow. By the way, did you see his and Michelle's first dance to "At Last" sung by Beyonce? I thought it was adorable!