Friday, May 22, 2009

Should we live more like dogs??

I received an email sometime earlier this week that made the comment that instead of living our lives the way we do, we should take heed from our dogs and try to live our lives more like them. At first of course you immediately think of all the negative reasons why living like a dog would not be conducive to the world we live in, but then, if you take a second, and think about it....it's kind of great advice.

I can't remember the last time my dog was mad at me. I can't remember ever coming home and not being greeted by 8 sets of paws pawing at my leg for me to pick them up (okay, so I have dachshunds, they can't exactly knock you over with attention). I can't remember the last time my dog didn't curl up next to me when I was sick. I can't remember my dogs ever being in a bad mood, or barking at me because they were mad, or even a time when they didn't want to chase the ball until all their energy was exhausted.

I think that while the wording of this chain email was somewhat corny, the message was a valid point. Dogs always act like they haven't seen you in years when you walk through the door. Dogs always curl up next to you when you're not feeling well just to be near you. Dogs always exhaust their energy doing something fun instead of sitting on the couch watching TV. Dogs always make time for you. Dogs will protect you, their family, until the very end. My dachshunds have gotten in front of some pretty huge dogs to make their point known, and maybe the other dog would have destroyed them had I not been there to pull them out of harm's way, but they were still willing to risk minor injury to protect me.

I get that dogs don't have the same pressures and stress factors in their lives that we humans do, but there is something to be admired in their behavior. If we could just take time to be excited every time we saw someone we loved, my how the world would be different. And if we would just curl up next to the person we love when they're sick, just to be near them, my how the world would be different. If we spent our time doing the things that bring us happiness until we were exhausted instead of sitting in front of the TV or computer all day, my how the world would be different.

While I can't stay home and sleep all day like my dogs, I can take bits and pieces of their behavior and incorporate it into mine. I think dogs have the most optimistic view of all of us. They always see the sunny side of things, and they always live their lives enjoying every minute.
The email also said that a little boy made the comment that dogs are here for such a short period of time because they've already figured out how to live life and they don't need as long to live their life. It's a good point, but can you imagine how much fuller your life would be if you lived your life always seeing the happiness, the optimism and the joy in your life?

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive.
~Gilda Radner

No comments: