Thursday, June 4, 2009

My blog is lacking lately.....

So, I'm not doing a very good job of providing thought provoking posts but I just haven't had anything to say......

However, just because MY blog hasn't been very great, doesn't mean that my friend's blogs are lacking.

Recently my friend wrote a blog post that was very personal, and probably very difficult to write. I admire her strength, her courage and most of all her bravey in writing this post. There are certain aspects of my life that I choose not to address. Not in my blog, not in my conversations with other people, not even with myself. Sexual assault is one of those topics.

I like having a blog, but in case you haven't noticed, I tend to keep it pretty light and hardly ever talk about anything too serious. I think it's heartfelt, courageous and needs to be discussed. I think she's dead on when she says that silence is acceptance. There are far too many girls out there who get raped or who are sexually assaulted and refuse to say anything because they're too scared or ashamed of themselves or for whatever reason, they'd rather keep it inside and to themselves than to tell anyone that something has happened. The sad truth is that girls often turn it on themselves and think that what has happened is their fault and that they're to blame. And to top it all off, it's not exactly an easy topic to bring up in every day conversation. I think that someday, the brutal truth of sexual assault will come out and people will realize how dire the situation really is, and that the time for action is now.

I am not asking you to donate to any cause or to any charity on my behalf. I am however asking you to look it up for yourself....read more about what is going on outside of our borders and in our world. Someone you know might be battling the memory of their sexual abuse and just might be someone who has been affected by the type of violence that can often surround sexual assault.

If nothing else, maybe you'll learn something you didn't know. Maybe it will inspire you to write your own blog post or to reveal some secrets you've been keeping. I for one hope that some day my secrets will be ones that I'm willing to share on my blog. At this point in my life, I don't have the courage to address the things that my friend does. I admire her and respect her for being courageous.


...if you wanted to donate, my birthday IS next week.....:)

"there are times when silence has the loudest voice"
-Leroy Brownlow

No comments: