Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Do we ever get enough time?




My grandfather recently passed away and as I've spent some time discussing his life with my step-grandmother, I came to the realization that even if we would have had 10 more years with him, I don't think I would have felt like it was enough time.

Which caused me to ponder even further....if we knew the day we were born the exact day that we would die what would we do differently? Sure, we'd all like to say that we'd stop and smell the roses, take more time to enjoy the little things but would we really? If you think about it, hundreds of people die a day. A lot of them die from things that they knew would kill them and knew that the end was coming. Of those several people, you only hear about 1 or 2 who truly made the most of their time left here with us. So, if we knew from day one when the last day of our life would be, what would we really do differently?

Me personally? I probably wouldn't do anything differently. I've enjoyed every minute of my life so far and I am constantly learning or experiencing something new. I think if I knew my life was going to be over tomorrow about the only thing I would change is calling a few friends and making sure that they know exactly how much they've meant to me in my life. Other than that, what's the point of changing anything? You're still not going to have enough time to do everything you can think of and in the end, people are still going to wish they had more time wtih you (hopefully).

I think that if we're all living our lives the way we should be and we're all making choices that make us happy, then we're all at a place where we can say "I've enjoyed my life" .

If not, then maybe we need to do some soul searching and figure out what's missing.

The greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances. -Martha Washington

No comments: