Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Things to Ponder

I'm just going to start off by saying that I don't claim to be overly patriotic and I'm not one of those "American til I die" kind of people. I like America. I like living here, but I've always found myself to be more Texan than American. Hey, we were our own country, once.

Anyway, I've noticed that when famous politicians, former Presidents etc die, I get really pissed off at the businesses/establishments who don't lower their flag to half staff. I can think of two times in particular that this has seriously pissed me off. In 2006, Ann Richards, former governor of Texas died. I remember driving down the Dallas North Tollway and driving past a hotel who hadn't lowered their flag. I was so pissed by this that I googled their phone number and called them while driving to tell them that they were ridiculous. I remember saying something like "She was from Texas you assholes!"

Second time this has bothered me. Recently, Ted Kennedy passed away. As his funeral services and viewings were going on, most businesses etc had found the time to lower their flags. However, there were a few that did not take the 2 minutes it would take to do this and left their flags flying high. I'm not sure why this bothers me so much, but I just kind of feel like if you're going to spend the money to put in a flag pole and have an American flag, then you sure as hell better lower it when the timing is right.

My next thing to ponder -
Road rage. I realized this morning that when I'm driving and you piss me off, I'll call you something I would not normally say and I'll say it with pride. For example, this morning this woman was driving like a complete maniac. She cut me off, she cut off other people and then came back to cut me off again. I found myself screaming out a four letter word that under normal circumstances I find disgusting. I'll let you use your imagination to figure out what it was, but basically it's a word usually reserved for women and may or may not start with a c and end in a t.

I felt dirty after I said it, but at the same time, it felt good. I wanted to call her something terrible because I was pissed at the way she was driving. We're all trying to get to work, why should she get to drive like a maniac?

The remote control changed our lives.....The remote control took over the timing of the world. That's why you have road rage. You have people who have no patience, because you got immediate gratification. You got click, click, click, click. If it doesn't explode within three seconds, click, click, click, click.
-Sid Caesar

1 comment:

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I agree on the flag thing! If you're going to display the American flag, do so with pride and knowledge of HOW to display it. Lower it when you're supposed to. Don't let it get all tattered and ragged. Don't let it fly at night unlit. These are the rules, people! I saw a business last week with the US flag lowered (thank you) but...the Texas flag was still at full height. Umm....Texas flag isn't supposed to fly higher than the US flag, dip****! The ignorance and/or carelessness of some people wears me out too!