Monday, July 27, 2009

To have the surgery or not...


So....a few months ago while me and the hubs were in Boston, I rolled my ankle pretty much completely over and suffered a pretty bad sprain. At the time I was under the influence of a few alcoholic beverages and therefore didn't notice exactly how much pain I was in. Boy, am I paying for it now.

Okay, so after about 2 months of pain and being in a BIG boot, like the ones that go all the way up to your knee, I went to the orthopedic surgeon to see why it just wasn't getting any better. He recommended physical therapy and gave me a cortisone shot. A month after physical therapy and cortisone shot, I went back for a check up. Not much had changed and there was still significant pain and swelling in the ankle. He recommended arthroscopic surgery to go in and "fix whatever he could see" Hmm. Let me get this straight. Something is wrong. You don't know what. And you're going to cut into my foot to figure it out? hmm.

So, I've scheduled a 2nd opinion for Wednesday morning. My parents have had surgeries with this particular office as well as just about everyone else I know over the age of 40. So, it should be a better place to have the surgery just in case that is what I really need to do.

Any comments are welcome. They said it'd be 4 weeks of no walking on my foot followed by 6-12 weeks of recovery. No thanks.

No comments: