Monday, October 26, 2009

The things I often forget


This weekend was packed full of events and it helped me find something that I thought I had lost or was on the verge of losing: my faith.

Saturday, a select group of my friends helped me volunteer at the Network of Community Ministries in Richardson. The "Network"" as most people I know call it serves a very needed purpose in our community. They had out food, clothes and a lot of other things to families in need. We volunteered to help pass out pansies that people had ordered to help support the Network. Not only were the flowers beautiful, but the people who had ordered them were just generally great people. Needless to say, we had a great time and at the end of the day, were thanked for "making hungry people happy". I was reminded that though my faith has been shaken these past few months, my friends are amazing and I'm blessed to have them to lean on and volunteer with. So thanks guys!

Sunday we had a guest minister. Usually, when there is a guest minister, I'm not very excited. I tend to like the normal "staple" minister and don't always take well to new comers in the pulpit. This guy however, was amazing. His sermon was about a passage in Job. Job 10 to be exact. He hit on the fact that often times we want to turn our backs on God because He has done something to us instead of seeing that God is there standing beside us pulling us through the fire. It struck a chord in me and my family. We've been going through such a difficult time together, that it's been hard to trust that God is reaching his hand in and pulling us through; but the truth is, He is. He's standing in the darkness with us trying to be our light. It's our anger and stubbornness that blows the light out and leaves us in the dark. So although my faith is shaken, and although some certain friends of mine are not going to agree with this post (you know who you are! and I love you), it's true for me. I need to stop dwelling in the darkness and see the light that is waiting for me at the end of this very long tunnel.

I'm happy that I chose to go to church yesterday and happier still that I truly got something out of the message. When hard times hit, I encourage you to read Job. It's pretty much the ultimate bad times and the ultimate finding God in your time of need.


"Sometimes, struggles are exactly what we need in life. If we were to go through our life without any obstacles, we would be crippled. We would not be as strong as what we could have been. Give every opportunity a chance, leave no room for regrets."

No comments: