Thursday, May 6, 2010

Distaste

Yesterday was a pretty good day. My family made it through my sister's birthday and managed to celebrate with dinner and cake. (I say made it through because if you read this, or if you know me, you know that this has been an extremely trying year for my family and my sister in particular). It seemed like things were going to be okay. Like maybe life was on the way back up and we could start looking forward instead of feeling trapped in the present.

Last night, as I was preparing for bed, I remembered something that a dear friend had told me about. She has a friend who's husband is currently battling brain cancer. For a while, things seemed somewhat hopeful, and now things seem less so. His family is faced with an absorbent amount of hospital bills and the final cost of his treatment is still unknown. The family has 3 children, one of which is old enough to understand what is happening to her dad and the ramifications to the family. My friend wanted to do something to honor her friend and to raise money for the family. Given the time of year, she decided that a crawfish boil would be the perfect way to raise money and have fun. She put in a considerable amount of effort in finding people to assist her with the boil and in creating and distributing fliers that advertised the event. She even went as far as sending invites to mutual friends on facebook so that she could reach as many people as possible and hopefully raise a good deal of money for the family.

Yesterday, my friend was faced with the decision of whether or not to cancel the crawfish boil. Not because she didn't want to do it and not because he was incapable of coming, but because the number of invites wasn't enough to make the boil worth wild. The most disappointing part of the story is that most of the people she targeted and wanted to invite for mutual friends of the family and of hers. Friends who through this ordeal have vowed to be by his side no matter what he needs but have failed to make good on their empty promises. Friends who if they found themselves in need might look to this family and my friend's family for support because they consider them to be a "good group of friends".

I do not the family who is suffering through this tragic time. I do not know the so-called friends who are not showing up to the crawfish boil. But I do know that if I were in the same situation, I would want people to help my family get through it whether that be financially or emotionally. And I do know that even though my original plan was to be at the crawfish boil, I am still going to donate to the fund for this family because I would hope that people would find it in their hearts to do the same for me if I needed it. Needless to say, these people whom I mostly just hear about and hardly ever have to see in person have left a grave distaste in my mouth.

On to second terrible and sickening piece of information. Last night, a family near and dear to my heart was burglarized. I don't know why people choose to burglarize other people. I don't know why no one is ever walking by at the right moment to catch the dirtbags who are doing it. And I don't know how you find peace again and go back into your house trusting that you're safe. I just don't get it. These people, these slimy, douchebag people have also left a distaste in my mouth.

It's not every day that I'm disappointment by mankind. But yesterday and today seem to be the days for feeling like mankind is just pissing on itself. I woke up mad that people are so two-faced and downright unconcerned for people around them.

This too shall pass, I am sure, but it sure makes you want to go beat the crap out of some of these people!

1 comment:

P said...

Don't be surprised. Plenty of people say they'll stick around when you're facing a giant burden but leave at the first sign of tough times. The best YOU can do is be there for your friend when she needs someone to stand behind her and keep her moving forward.