Thursday, June 2, 2011

For P, may he finally find peace

As many of you know, Living for Love and I lost one of our very best friends last year to cancer. He had two wishes when he died, throw an epic party for him and spread his ashes over Prudhoe Bay Alaska.

The epic party is tentatively planned for August. And his dad is embarking on the journey of a lifetime next week to carry Preston to his final resting place. If you're interested, you can follow his blog here.

As I type this out, I have tears in my eyes. One, I wish I could go with his dad or at least be there when he gets there to be with Preston as he is finally laid to rest. And two because it's funny what a year can do to the heart.

I don't feel the same pain that I felt when he first passed. I don't reach for the phone and start dialing his number before I realize that he's not there. But it hurts in a different way now. In that kind of way where you know he's gone and the little slip ups of thinking he's still here to talk to aren't happening anymore. Instead, there's just a giant gaping hole in my heart where Preston once was. And it makes me so sad.

I know he's not suffering anymore and that is more than I could ever ask for. But, I sure do wish it didn't hurt so bad to not have him here. I miss him terribly.

"if you wish to experience peace, provide peace for another"

May David find peace on his journey with Preston. And may his family and friends know that P is finally where he wanted to be. 

No comments: