Friday, July 29, 2011

Friendships....

Friendship.....

“A blessed thing it is for any man or woman to have a friend, one human soul whom we can trust utterly, who knows the best and worst of us, and who loves us in spite of all our faults.”


Some of the greatest love that I have experienced in my life has been through the amazing friendships that I've forged over the years. Last night, I spent time with some of my favorite friends and I don't think I've laughed as hard in a very, very long time.

I love this quote because it focuses not only the fact that it's easy to love our friends when they're doing all the right things. But we must also love them in their worst times as well. The bottom line is this - friends, people, make mistakes. It happens every day in almost every way imaginable. Mistakes are made. Feelings get hurt. And sometimes, it feels easier to hold a grudge or push away from your friend than it does to just talk to them about it. But being a true friend means finding a way to work through the feelings of anger and pain. And sometimes, people choose not to do that. And that's okay, but to me, they are failing as a true friend. A true friend loves no matter what happens. Even when feelings are hurt and emotions are running high. A true friend finds the will inside them to forgive you for your faults. To forget the stupid things you've done and to remember all the wonderful things you've done and been for them in the past.

The thing about friendship love is that sometimes it hurts slightly more than romantic love. I think that I expect to get into hurtful arguments with my husband. I know that there are times when he's going to say something I don't agree with or don't appreciate. Or even do something that I'd rather him not do. But I think I expect it less from my friends so when they do something that hurts, it hurts more than when he does. Awkward logic, I know but think on it.

The one thing that I know for sure is that I wouldn't make it through this life without the amazing friends that surround me on a daily basis. I am so thankful for them and can only hope that I give them a little bit of what they give me.

The sad part is when we lose friends without telling them how much we truly care for them. I've often felt that way about my friend Preston. I loved him dearly and fear I did not tell him enough how special he was to me. 

To all my friends, know that you're very dear to my heart.

I feel like this quote describes the friends I was with last night. My friend Janet and my friend Joanna (they're sisters which makes it that much more fun!)

“We cannot tell the exact moment a friendship is formed; as in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses, there is at last one that makes the heart run over.”

No comments: