Tuesday, March 2, 2010

You did what???????

This is my thumb yesterday as I'm trying to walk into Target to take care of some errands....Although the piece of wood sticking out of my thumb looks like a toothpick, it's actually a splinter from the wood handle of an umbrella that oh so generously decided to break while I was trying to open it. At first, I remained pretty calm and thought "hey, Target has a pharmacy, maybe someone in the pharmacy will pull this out for me." They refused. So, I drove to Care Now, an urgent care center close by. After waiting for about an hour, and starting to feel intense pain, the doctor finally gets a chance to look at it. Her immediate response is that she's not worried about the obvious big splinter, but the small splinters that are coming out of the top of my thumb. Right where my nail is broken, and where the blood dot is. 

She proceeds to give me three shots in my thumb (two just under the nail bed and one into the top) that literaly felt like someone was stabbing my thumb with a dirty needle, and then starts on pulling out the first splinter. Instead of just being able to pull it out and be done with it, she had to cut the skin around the splinter to get it out. Oh joy. 

She then moved to the splinter just under the nail. Which, before starting she had commented was the splinter that she was most worried about. Apparently inanimate objects, like glass, are okay to remain in your finger, but wood is an entirely different story. Luckily, the splinter came right out and she was confident that she got all of it. She did however have to cut my nail away to do it. Oh joy. 

Next she moved to the blood dot. This splinter ended up being the most stubborn. It was about the size of a hair and hurt like a b. It took about 20 minutes to get it out and she ended up having to cut the top of my thumb in order to do so.Oh joy. 

So, at the end of the ordeal, I have a sliced open thumb on the sides and on the top and I'm missing part of my fingernail. 

To top things off, I got a huge shot of antibiotics into my hip, and a tetanus shot. I will never forget the date of my last tetanus shot again!


 
This is what my thumb looks like now. It doesn't look all that bad and you're probably thinking it couldn't possibly hurt that bad, but let me tell you...it does. 

So I'm going to need all the "poor Tiffany"s you can come up with and I'm going to need them fast....

4 comments:

CGC said...

poor tiffy!! :( Coach can get you different color compression tape if you want to mix it up. :)

fancyashstyle said...

It looks like it hurts sooooo bad. Omg. It makes me have goose bumps looking at it! I hope it gets better quick!!!

Unknown said...

thanks loves! It's actually healing pretty nicely so I'm thinking today is the last day of tape....I'm also not going to go back for a check up because it's not looking bad AT ALL.

Thanks Ash! It does hurt pretty bad...mostly the tip of the thumb is sore now....lame.

P said...

Sounds like fun! I once removed some stiches with with a Swiss army knife. Talk about pain.

Oh and poor tiffy. :-P