Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It's the simple things...

That handsome devil is my grandfather. He's 82, a retired Lt. Col in the Army, and one of my all time favorite people. Unfortunately, he has no idea who I am. He has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and although we won't know for sure until he's left us, he certainly has the tell tale signs of a person suffering from Alzheimer's. He can't remember who my father (his son) is, and he doesn't remember my paternal grandmother or my aunts. He has a hard time remembering my cousins or my step-grandmother's children. He can remember his wife and the staff who takes care of him at the home where he now lives. He can remember that he goes to dialysis three times a week and to physical therapy twice a week, even if he can't remember what it's called exactly. He remembers that his birthday is coming up and that he had a party last year even though he doesn't remember that most of his children were there.

The best part of the person that my grandfather has become is the innocence is his demeanor and behind his eyes. Before, there was a shadow of a man who had fought hard in two wars and had come back to a life that was not something he was used to. He was a loving man, and always made you feel special, but he was distant. You could tell there were things within him that he would never tell you, even if you begged. Now however, he will tell you just about everything he remembers. Sunday, as I was driving back from San Antonio, we stopped to see him on our way out. It still makes me laugh to think about the things he was saying to me.

Gpa:Did you know my birthday is coming up? I'm going to be 83! I can't believe it!
Me: yes, grandpa, I knew. I'm your granddaughter, I know a lot about you.
Gpa: You are? That's great!
Gpa: I want to have a birthday party for my birthday, I think it's May 24. You should come! You seem nice!
Me: how are you doing? Are you doing alright?
Gpa: I could go for some coffee, they have some coffee back there, ya know?
Me: Oh, I didn't know.
Gpa: Yeah, I'm not supposed to have any, but they have some back there.
Me: would you like some coffee?
Gpa: OH sure!

It would sure be something to be able to take in the simple things in life, like birthday parties, and coffee without constantly being reminded of all the things in your life that are causing stress or demanding your attention. Seems like lately I've been making lots of promises to try and be better at this or that, I think what I really need to do, is slow down, and enjoy the simple things in life. Whether it be dinner with my girlfriends, or playing with my dogs, or even sitting with a man who doesn't remember who I am, but is still excited to see me....just taking time to slow down and enjoy this moment, this very moment in my life will pull all the other things together.

So, to my 5 friends who read this blog (there may be more random people out there) I give you some of the simple things in my life that I'm going to slow down and really appreciate.
This is Wilson. He's 5, almost 6. I enjoy him because he's the most loving dog in the world!

This is Bailey. She is my first love! She's the sweetest, and most beautiful dog I have ever seen! And she happens to be the most spoiled dog on the planet!
This tree was planted shortly after my grandfather (not the same as above) was buried in 1985. It started as a small tree that was new, and fresh. Today, it towers over all the other trees at Fort Sam Houston Cemetery and provides shade not only for my grandfather, but also for all the soldiers and family members buried around him. I took time to appreciate this "simple thing" on Saturday when we stopped to visit his grave. I'm going to keep this picture close to me so that when things start getting out of control in my life again, I can time to stop and appreciate this tree again.

"By living one day at a time, you live all the days of your life"

1 comment:

vanweezy said...

Awww the puppies. I want to see them! By the way, Riley turns 4 today! Let's get Wilson, Bailey, and Riley together and wouldn't that be a sight!!