Friday, April 1, 2011

It's a blessing and a curse......

I wear my heart on my sleeve. Especially when it comes to friends and family. I've never been good at being very guarded, and I've kind of always cared more about others than I probably should. I've always put other people's feelings before my own. In some instances, it's a blessing. I've been able to be there for people when they needed me and put my own anger or whatever aside to do what needed to be done.

Other times, it's a curse. I've learned in a rather unpleasant way this week that most people only think about themselves when making decisions. They don't consider other people's feelings and they do what will be fun for them regardless of what might be involved otherwise. I know that the hurt they inflict is unintentional, but it's still being inflicted. And to them, I know that it makes no sense. Because, if you're not someone who wears your heart on your sleeve, then you're never going to understand how it might feel for a friend to not consider your feelings when making  a choice.

Moral of the story? I've got to quit caring so much. I've got to get tougher and protect me more so that I don't end up in situations where I'm the one being hurt. If I'm the only friend in the relationship who is putting thought into how my actions might affect the other person, then I'm the fool. 

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on ME.

No comments: