Tuesday, April 5, 2011

It's funny the things that trigger a memory....

Sometimes it's the day of the year...like my friend, who blogged about his deceased father in law
Sometimes, it's a song that triggers a memory...like my friend Janet, who blogged about a song that often times reminds me of her wedding.
Sometimes, it's a smell, or a car driving by, or even just a chain of events that happen in a particular order more than once that triggers your memory of a moment already passed.
Each time it happens, no matter what triggers the memory for me, I find myself lost in the moment. Lost in thought about things that have happened before. both good and bad.

Today, my husband sent me beautiful flowers for our anniversary. He carefully selected an arrangement that included my favorite flower, the stargazer lily. If you've ever been around stargazers, then you know that the fragrance is strong and they have a very distinct smell. Today, the fragrance is triggering memories of our wedding; where stargazers were also present and very fragrant. Today, the memories triggered are happy ones. Ones of love and joy and a fun party!


But it's not every day that a memory lost triggers happy thoughts. Sometimes, it brings up the memory of a lost friend or loved one. Sometimes, it's a moment in time that you'll never get back that you might regret.

Which makes cherishing the memory triggers like today's even more important.

There are some joys that will last us a lifetime. Marrying my best friend, has been one of those joys.

No comments: