Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Just another day in the life of a sicky

So, I'm pretty sickenss prone, that's what we call it. I have things like chronic sinusitis and petella tendonitis, so it doesn't usually freak me out when I go to the doctor and she tells me something crazy... like, "only 2% of patients will experience nausea with this medicine" which generally means that I will spend the first 2 days vomitting after taking the pills. I've gotten used to it, I've always fit into that special category of 2%, so it's not real surprising anymore.

Anyway, I say all of that to say all of this. I went to the doctor yesterday because I've had a rash on my arm since last Thursday and it was starting to hurt and cause some discomfort. Turns out I have chicken pox, but in the adult form. So basically, once you have chicken pox, the virus stays in your body. It lays dormant in your nerve roots and in your spine. Most people don't ever experience a flair up of the virus, but on occassion, something like stress, or an illness can bring the virus to the surface. So, that's what is happening with me. The virus has decided to rear it's ugly head all the way down the back of my arm. Okay, not all the way down, but it's a pretty large size area and the crap hurts like hell. They call it shingles when you get it as an adult, but I prefer to call it adult chicken pox because I feel like only people over 50 get shingles.
So, I have to take Valtrex, yeah, the herpes medicine, like 3 times a day in these huge ass pills, and steroid pills which always make me feel crazy. And to top it all off, I'm supposed to "take it easy, get some rest" Right...because you said stress was one of the main reasons this virus shows up, so CLEARLY I AM NOT GOOD AT RESTING AND TAKING IT EASY!

Ugh, I swear to god, the crazy things only happen to me. My sister is lucky to get a cold once a year. Husband is like a freaking sickness blocker and never gets sick. Me and my dad...resident freak shows.

Anyway, this is me, taking it easy, resting, and going completely insane wanting to itch the crap out of my adult chicken pox.

someone save me.

"take it easy, take it easy, don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy"
-the eagles

No comments: