Monday, April 13, 2009

Taking it easy...East Texas style

Spent some quality time with the fam this weekend, kicking back in front of a campfire and enjoying nature. I think it was a pretty good trip all around, and my immune system definitely needed the relaxation and fresh air. Let's hope the dreadful shingles are behind me and I can keep moving forward in this stupid illness!

Here are a few of my favorite pics:

This is Abby. She's about 15 years old now and all she did was sleep the whole time! She got a little bit grumpy with me for taking this picture, but overall, she is the best, most laid back dog any family could ask for. I'll be very sad when she finally leaves us.
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience."
~Woodrow Wilson

Early to bed, early to rise. This was the scene at around 7:00AM. All the meds I've been on have been conking me out pretty early, so although I was fast asleep in a super comfy tent on the ground (please tell me you caught the sarcasm), my body was ready for action at 7:00AM. I took a few strolls around the park but found this picture to be one of my favorites. I love it in the morning when the sun is just now coming up. It's my favorite time of day.
"Nothing is more beautiful than the loveliness of the woods before sunrise"
George Washington Carver


You knew the dachshunds would make it at some point!! This is one of their favorite things to do! Afternoon naps in the sunshine. Bailey (the girl bottom right) will lay in the smallest patches of sunshine to try and "sunbathe." She even rolls over on all sides to make sure that each side gets the same amount of time in the sun. Wilson (top left) just likes to be wherever she is. I bet if I mirrored my life more after them, I wouldn't have to worry about getting shingles!
"Happiness is a warm puppy"
Charles M. Schulz


What campsite would be complete without a hot, burning fire? This fire kept us warm for more than a little while. The boys (hubby and brother in law) did a really good job keeping it going and gathering an endless supply of firewood. I think BIL sacrificed some skin for some of the firewood (scrapes, cuts, spider bites) but in the end, we had warmth, and what more do you need, right?
"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire"
Marshal Ferdinand Foch

All in all, it was a great weekend. Although it might even be a little cliche, it was just what the doctor ordered!

And it definitely got me hyped up about going to Boston! Although I don't have my fancy new camera yet (still warming the hubby up to the idea) my sister in law's ex boss is going to let me borrow one of his!! I think I just might die I'm so excited!!!

Not sure if I've closed with this before, but I love it and I try to remember it often:

"Do not run through life so fast that you forget not only where you have been, but also where you are going"

No comments: