Friday, December 2, 2011

The difference a dollar can make....

Each year, I try very hard to remain vigilent about donating to various charities. The reason for this is because I desperately believe in helping others and in fighting for a good cause. Sometimes, someone asks me to donate and I'm more than happy to. Other times, I do research on my own and find the appropriate place for my funds.

This year was a little more crazy with working on the well for my nephew, I haven't donated to as many places as I would have liked....so, I'm doing some research.


Yesterday was World AIDS Day. When I was younger, I was passionate about finding a cure for AIDS. Somewhere in my adulthood, that dropped off. I'm going to be passionate about supporting AIDS research again. Here are some suggestions for AIDS charities you might consider supporting.

I've been a long time supporter of the North Texas Food Bank. The saying is that $1 feeds 3 people...I'm guessing they run very efficiently because I know that I sure as heck can't feed people on $1!

I've also donated to the American Cancer Society, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and various other cancer organizations throughout the years. This November, I convinced 5 guys to to grow out their facial hair in the name of raising money for cancer research. It went really well and was loads of fun! (For me, mostly). They have decided to donate the funds to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network because we have a co-worker who is suffering through the aftermaths of pancreatic cancer right now. 

I'm not saying all of this to say "look at me, I'm so great". I'm saying it so that maybe you'll be compelled to donate what you can too. Go forth and find something you're passionate about!

I recommend Charity Navigator for helping judging which ones are worthy of your time and efforts.

No comments: