Monday, April 26, 2010

Taking a step outside your box...

So before you read my post, you should read this post. It's excellent and it deserves your time. Trust me.

I think the ideas proposed in that post are dead on. Would we be reacting the same way to a LOT of things that have been going on lately if the people committing the acts were of different ethnic background? Or would we feel differently about healthcare and the other things that our president has suggested if he weren't African American? It's worth taking a second to take a step back and think about. What would we think or do if things were slightly different than they are now?

I've been writing a research paper on physician assisted suicide these past few weeks. Typically, I'm fairly liberal when it comes to my ideas about politics, etc. I found that to be true during my research as well, but I also found myself thinking "what would I want to do if it were me" and "how would I feel if my family member chose this?"
For the most part, my opinion on the matter wouldn't change; we all have the right to decide what kind of treatment we want and whether or not we're ready to end our own pain and suffering. But it also made me think that if some people would simply take a step outside of their own boxes and narrowmindedness, they might find that the other side isn't as evil as they thought it was and that sometimes, people should be able to decide for themselves the best course of action. Also, they might find that they're being prejudiced against a certain race or type of people .

Can you imagine a world where we all take a second to step outside of our boxes and take a minute to understand where someone else is coming from? I imagine there'd be a lot less hate and mumbled disapproval.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
-Thomas Jefferson

No comments: