Friday, April 23, 2010

The truth hurts sometimes....

So my friend Janet wrote a pretty good post about how sometimes you just need to dust yourself off and move forward.

I hate how sometimes someone can say something you weren't expecting and it makes you realize that they're probably right and maybe you should heed their advice. For example, if you read my last post, then you know that last Friday wasn't the most exciting day of my life. During all of that, one of my dear friends told me "sometimes, people are just not going to like you. They may not really have a reason other than you're just not their type of person". Hmm...good point. Up until this point in my life, I've probably had an unhealthy obsession with making sure that everyone liked me. I didn't want to be the kid that didn't get picked for red rover or any of that jazz, so I probably worked too hard to get people to like me. But it was because I never really took a step back and thought "You know, it's totally okay if someone doesn't like you. It doesn't make you any less of a person or less likable". Lesson number one. 

Lesson number two came by way of Janet's post. I have to admit, these past two weeks, I've definitely taken the words of others a little bit more seriously than I should or normally do. The thing is, it doesn't matter what people think about me. The people that I care about and the people that I want in my life, like me for me. And they're my friend because they respect me and want me in their life too. The people who don't like me aren't people that I need in my life any way. If they're not going to add something positive to my life, then there is no reason for me to stress over whether or not they like me! So, I'm going to dust myself off and remember that just because not everyone is jumping to grab me off the shelf, it doesn't make me any less of a person or make me a bad person. Other people's opinions are just that...opinions. And the majority of opinions that I know, are that I'm loved. So, why fret over something I can't control?

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere. 
~Agnes Repplier

1 comment:

CGC said...

aw good for you! I love you for who you are and always appreciate your wonderful perspective on the world! you're a great person!