Friday, April 30, 2010

2%er and a bit of a hypochondriac

I'll freely admit that sometimes when I get illnesses, I tend to take them to the extreme. For example....I've recently been experiencing what can be chopped up to an allergic reaction. To what? We don't know. But because my mind is so briliant, I of course have googled every possible answer to my insane itchiness and what might be going on with my body.

here are the top choices:
  • allergic reaction
  • anemia
  • liver disease
  • kidney disease
  • pregnancy
The average person would probably see allergic reaction and move on. Or maybe they'd skip to anemia and think "I could use some more iron in my life" and then move on.

Me? What do I do? I immediately start looking into liver disease and kidney disease. Why? Because the general rule of thumb with my body is that I fall into that 2% category. You know, when you get a medicine and it says 2% of people will experience anxiety, diarrhea, headaches, nausea, loss of appetite, loss of hair growth, etc, etc? Yeah, that's me folks. I generally fall into the 2% category of people who are going to experience XYZ symtpoms. It's really more of a curse than anything else.

For fun, let me run down some of the things that have happened to me since this time last year:
  • Shingles
  • Strep throat
  • Bronchitis
  • Chronic sinusitis
  • Allergic reaction to medicine
  • anxiety
  • stress
  • sinus infection x 4
  • rash on arm
  • allergic reaction to who knows what
  • ear infection
  • sinus infection
  • stabbed by umbrella in thumb
I can't think of anything else at the moment, but let's just say that my doctor bills are long and numerous at the end of the year. Oh joy.

So the next time I tell you that I think I have liver disease, maybe you'll see why for me, it's a real possibility!

The best cure for hypochondria is to forget about your own body and get interested in someone else’s.
Goodman Ace

No comments: