Friday, July 2, 2010

My Mom

Isn't it funny that when we're younger, we don't realize how important our mother is to us? I mean, we know that she holds us when we cry, and she tucks us in at night, but we don't realize the lengths that she goes to make sure we are well taken care of, out of harm's way, and loved. As I've grown older, I've realized what an amazing woman my mother is. She's completely selfless, amazingly compassionate, giving, and above all, loving. When I was younger, I think I took for granted what an awesome mom she really was to me.  I figured all moms were like  that and I was just one of the kids who got a mom. Boy, how things can be so different with just a few more years under your belt.

I've learned that my mom isn't like everyone else's mom. She goes above and beyond what she has to do just because she feels like that what she should do for her children. She's done more for me in my 26 years of life than a lot of parents have done for their children. I've been extremely lucky to have been placed in her arms, and I can't imagine having someone else as a parent.

Yesterday, when I was frustrated about trying to find someone to ride to Houston with me, she said "I'll think about going." Before I could ask anyone else, she was already planning on we should go and whether or not we should stay the night. My mom stepped up to the plate when it felt like others were stepping down. And again, although I shouldn't have been, I was amazed at her selflessness. I know she doesn't really want to drive 8 hours to see someone she barely knows. But she knows that this friend is important to me, and that was enough for her.

My mom's the best. Simply put, the best.

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us; still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind percepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts. "
-Washington Irving

2 comments:

chellie said...

I'm sorry you are hurting. And I hope that step up to the plate comment wasn't directed at me. Holiday weekend, lots of plans already and the request Thursday gave no indication of why you asked me to make a day trip to Houston.

Hope the trip is everything you want and your friend hears good news soon.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

What a great post. I hope your Mommy knows how awesome she is. :)