Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Being helpless is the hardest...

I have a friend who is significantly older than me, who I've known my entire life, who is in the hospital. And as much as I want to think that my positive thinking can change the world, I'm feeling completely and utterly helpless.

It started with pneumonia (they think) and has no progressed into much more than that. He has cardiomyopathy and has had it for some time. I'm told that if the average person pumps out oxygen from their heart at 80/90%, he pumps it out at 40/45%. Something he's been able to live with but while being in the hospital, this has dropped considerably down to 20/25%.

Additionally, he's having trouble breathing. Probably started from the pneumonia but is continuing on. The pulmonologist said that his lungs have changed at some point and that might be a lifelong problem too.

It just seems like he gets better one day and then the next he spirals downward. As hard as it is to watch someone you like suffer from illness, it is 1,000 times harder to watch someone you love suffer from illness. I know he's uncomfortable in the hospital and he wants to go home. I know that he thinks he is in better shape than he really is. I know that he was probably sick for a long time before he finally went to the hospital. I hope he can pull through this without any long term problems or illnesses, but I'm just not sure.

If you're readings this, please send a positive thought or two to my friend Jim. He needs it more than you know.

Pay it forward.

“The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.”

No comments: