Friday, August 13, 2010

more than I could ever hope for....

As you know, my friend Preston is in the final stages of his life here with us. He's decided to quit treatment for lymphoma and now the doctors are just doing everything they can to make him comfortable.

I was thinking back this morning on all the things that he has taught me and decided to share.

  • he taught me that life is not to be lived carefully and slowly but rather as an adventure to the end
  • he taught me that dickhead guys aren't worth your time 
  • he taught me that friendship doesn't have to be about hanging out every weekend; sometimes it's about having an email group that talks every day about the stupidest of things
  • he taught me that there is humor in everything; even in death
  • he taught me to be optimistic about the future and not dwell on the negative
  • he taught me to love all kinds of different people and that you can't judge a person by their dorky hobbies! 
  • he taught to appreciate a really great thunderstorm
  • he taught me some safety tips I probably need to learn
  • he taught me how to be a better friend and for that I'm eternally grateful. 
Preston has taught me so much in the short span of our friendship....6 years...that it saddens me that I'll never be able to repay him for his life lessons.  I hope that I can grow to be more like him and learn to love the life they way he did and appreciate the small things. I'm still completely devastated, but I'm trying to focus more on our shared laughter than our shared sorrow. I know I'll see him again and lucky for him, it'll seem like the blink of an eye. It hurts tremendously to know that in a short time, I'll lose my friend but I just keep reminding myself that it hurts so bad because I love him so much. I hope he finds the peace he's searching for and that our time apart doesn't feel like an eternity.

No comments: