Thursday, March 31, 2011

Animal Activist Soap Box

Stepping on my soap box this morning because I'm perturbed at the way people are responding to Tilikum, the killer whale who is responsible for the death of 3 people going back to work.

Here are the facts: last year, the whale pulled a trainer into the tank by her pony tail and consequently killed her by dragging her to the bottom of the tank. It was tragic, I agree.

I agree that people are important and come before animals, in most instances.

In this instance, I'm finding myself very pissed off at the people who are "appalled" and "disgusted" that the whale has been released to perform again.

Here's why: WE, as Americans, like to be entertained. WE chose to take these whales, place them in captivity, and train them for OUR amusement. They are aptly named KILLER whales for a reason: they KILL. Yet, WE overlook that fact and force them to do what WE want when WE want it. Hmm.....am I the only who sees that it's no surprise that the whale has been linked to deaths?

The very nature of the killer whale is to kill. Kill for survival, kill for food. So......why would we think that it's okay to place these animals into captivity and expect them not to ever do anything bad? Seems a little naive on my part.

Now, should the whale have returned to performing? Probably not. But what else are they going to do with it? If they return it to the wild, it means imminent death for the whale. If they kill the whale, well then they kill the whale. So, why, because the whale was placed in captivity without it's consent, should we condemn it to death because it did what is in it's natural ability and instinct to do?

I think the bigger issue that needs to be explored here is the way we treat animals for our entertainment. I'm not saying that I agree with organizations like PETA, but I don't think that this whale deserves to die for acting as a KILLER whale.

Humans, Americans in particular, need to learn to not upset the natural balance of the world. Until then, animals are going to continue to do things that are harmful to humans and then everyone's going to end up in a uproar all over again. But, is it really the animals fault? No.

No comments: