Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Human Trafficking Awareness Day

Today, on the way into work, I heard the announcement that today is "Human Trafficking Awareness Day". My first thought was, "That doens't happen here.:" And then I thought about how naive that thought was. Seriously, there are so many things going on in the world that I'm almost positive it is happening here, in the United States.

The station referenced a website, Traffick911 and it confirmed that human trafficking knows no boundaries and in fact, the United States has a large market for slaves. SLAVES. in the UNITED STATES. It blows my mind.

I don't know much about human trafficking other than it happens, but I'm going to use today to learn more about it. To gain knowledge and find out ways that I can help. Because no child should have their innocence stolen. Humans are not property. And it honestly breaks my heart that in the year 2012, we are still treating them as if they are.

No comments: