Thursday, January 12, 2012

It's about planting trees....

I have to brag about my good friend Janet. You see, a few years ago, I noticed a quote on her blog that said:


"The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit" by Nelson Henderson

When I first read it, I thought "Wow, that's a pretty cool quote" but as the meaning sunk in and the words really came to mean something to me, I decided that it was the approach I wanted to take in my life. I wanted to strive for a life that is selfless and one in which I give more than I take. I want to plant trees for others, regardless of what the result is for me.

But, that's not the point of this post. It's to brag about Janet, remember?

So, I'm amazed by her every day, which I think I've already told most of you, but...she posted pictures of her soon to be here baby boy's room and one of the things she made for his room is a painting that reads:
"Plant trees under whose shade you do not expect to sit"

She placed it in the room because she wants him to grow up with a sense of selflessness and charity and what better way than to keep such profound words in his room?

When I finally take the steps to start becoming a parent, I hope that I remain as level headed and grounded as she is and that I can keep some of the same principles in mind while preparing for my kiddo.

Here's to you Janet. You are an incredible person and I am so lucky to count you as my friend.

"The true meaning of life is to plant tress, under whose shade you do not expect to sit."
- Nelson Henderson

No comments: