Wednesday, December 22, 2010

internet safety protocol

so I read the posts on this one website on a rather regular basis -- mostly because they show up in my Google Reader feed. Anyway, the site reddit, allows people to post "news as it's happening" and other random things that please people. The past two days, there have been posts about meeting up in certain cities so that the poster can buy you a meal (if you're in need and hungry this season) and sending amazon toy orders to kids if the family is in need.

The second one I would have participated in had I known about it before it was too late (this morning was too late because the package wouldn't get there in time for Christmas). The first one though is where I pause and have to wonder if I'd really be willing to meet up with someone I didn't kinow and buy them dinner. Here's my concern: the world is a scary place. People are scary and can do some scary things in times of need. THE WORLD IS A SCARY PLACE.

I want to participate in things like this. I want to feel like I could confidently post the same thing and offer my help or a meal to someone in need, but I'm just flat out too chicken shit to do it. I'm terrified that I would put myself out there and offer to buy someone dinner and then they'd show up with a knife and stab me for my $20. It's rather sad when you think about it, but it's true....I'm terrified that I'd be killed rather than spend an enjoyable evening at dinner with a stranger.

Am I the only one out there who doesn't think it's such a good idea to offer a meal to a random person on a website? Do I have unrealistic fears of stabbing deaths when people aren't all bad? (Or is it that they'd shoot me not stab me, I mean, come on, it is almost 2011).

I just don't see the most good in people anymore. I see mostly bad. And it saddens me.

No comments: